Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Drake Discusses On-Stage Collapse

New York, NY – It has been weeks since Drake had to undergo knee surgery and he is still every bit in recovery from that. The Toronto MC was at the highlight of his music career and at the time he wasn’t going to allow some thrown knee ligaments to keep him down, he was going to do what he did best, perform for his fans. Apparently days before the BET Awards in June, Drake injured himself while playing basketball. That injury, however, wasn’t going to stop him from headlining at the awards, nor keep him from his commitment to tour with Young Money on their America’s Most Wanted Music. He went forth continued on with his music regardless of the amount of pain he was in.

Not even five dates into his first major tour; the Philadelphia show stopped him for good. It was during the performance of his hit ‘Best I Ever Had’ when he re-injured his knee when he ran across the stage. He collapsed from all the pain that adhered directly to his knee and had to be carried off stage. The injury was quite severe as he tore his ACL, MCL, and MCL. A video clip of his fall later surfaced on the net that same night and put a lot of his fans in shock and worry. Drake recently spoke to MTV News about the collapse and explained what the video didn’t show.

These were his comments:

“What the footage doesn't show is that I actually came out of the sky that night. I was 20 feet in the air on a little platform. Philadelphia was the only sold-out show on the tour — 25,000 people. And before they see me, I see them for about five seconds. I was staring out into the crowd and literally ... when I landed on that platform, I blacked out and really forgot I was injured. I was just so full of adrenaline, so happy to be there, it kind of set in for me. I remember on the ‘I Am Music’ tour, the reaction was great. But these were my songs. These are songs people know and love and we really made this happen in a short time. I was just enjoying myself. I had the mic and I was really going. And when 'Best I Ever Had' came on, I felt like dancing. It was a great moment. I wanted to run across stage, I wanted to jump into the crowd.”

His knee gave out halting him from continuing the show, killing his excitement altogether. Once that video clip surfaced on the net, Drake states that many of his friends texted him telling him to stay off the leg. Those friends even included NBA stars such as: Chris Paul and LeBron James. Jamie Foxx even spoke to him personally, one on one, about minding his well-being.

At press time, Drake is in the process completing tracks for his upcoming debut, while back in Toronto. His doctors have told him to stay off his feet as much as possible, not to put pressure on his knee. While he is completely off the tour with Young Money, that didn’t stop him from making one last cameo appearance when tour stopped in his hometown. He walked on stage with a cane to perform his other hit, ‘Successful.’

I can understand his dedication to music, especially when his songs just recently became hits, but I think he’s pushing himself a little bit too hard. Hopefully when his debut officially drops, he’ll be back on his feet ready to hit the stage. And he also needs to stop playing ball like he’s in the damn NBA; how the hell do you tear ligaments in your knee playing regular ball, unless you dunking kind of hard there? Either way, he needs to stay in the studio and off his feet so he can get back to the music.

0 comments:

Post a Comment